Eeeee Eee Eeee

August 30, 2007 at 7:11 pm (Uncategorized)

I haven’t read this book, but it may have the best title ever.

eeeee.jpg

Permalink Leave a Comment

ping pong

August 20, 2007 at 4:10 am (watch)

Although I haven’t played in a while, I love ping pong. I even have this jacket from Urban Outfitters a couple of years back that says “Ping Pong Tournament” on it, and people often ask me if I really played in a tournament to get it, even though under “Ping Pong Tournament” it says “1965.”

Anyway, even though it looks kind of stupid, I have to endorse a movie about ping pong. Thus, here is the trailer for Balls of Fury, out August 29.

Permalink 1 Comment

Obsession of the Week

August 15, 2007 at 7:03 am (hear)

I guess this feature would work better if I did it every week…But here is your introduction to Josh Rouse (thanks to Jason, the art director at Sactown, for introducing me).  His songs are mellow–sort of sweeter Ryan Adams–and they take a couple of listens to sink in, but there are some great hooks.  Plus, as you’ll see in the clip below of “London Bridges,” from the album Country House City House (released about two weeks ago; it’s his tenth album ) he wears glasses, so that means I’m hooked.

Permalink Leave a Comment

Film directors are hot

August 9, 2007 at 8:16 am (watch)

    Tonight was the first night of the Sacramento Film and Music Festival. Before the first of two movies–When a Man Falls in the Forest and Commit–there was a reception when I learned that all filmmakers (or at least those who showed up at this particular festival) are under age thirty and really attractive. I’m sure that the fact that they have my dream job (in the idealized version, where you don’t have to put your life savings into a movie and battle for funds, creative control and distribution and write 35 versions of the script and spend a year editing) helps. What’s a little more disconcerting is that there are still so few female directors…

Both movies were good, but Commit especially rekindled my sense of “I want to do this!” For me, movies like Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, Nine Lives–movies shot simply, with lots of talking and no special effects–are the ones that I can envision myself making (or wishing I could make) because that’s all I know how to do: point a camera and watch and listen. Commit is 90 minutes long but is made up of only three shots. The actors (it’s basically a two-man show) rehearsed with the director for four months (the lead actress is the writer/director’s wife), and then they shot the movie in three days with a $10,000 budget. Check out the trailer below, and make sure to watch all the way to the end. The movie is dark, but funny and skewed-romantic.

And here’s the preview for When a Man Falls in the Forest. I actually think it sort of mis-represents the movie. With its frantic music, the trailer makes the movie seem lively, and it’s actually about several people operating in a complete daze–they move slow, talk slow, don’t interact with each other and don’t often smile. It had some funny moments but was actually kind of draining to watch.

Keep an eye on the director, Ryan Eslinger. I think he’ll do more good work.

Permalink Leave a Comment

Chop Chop

August 3, 2007 at 4:36 am (Uncategorized)

I’m not a very good cook. This may be because I don’t cook much–last summer in NYC, for example, 85% of my meals were precooked chicken apple sausages or boxed soup from Trader Joe’s and the other 15% were stir fried tofu over rice with peanut sauce (no vegetables or anything).

tofu.jpg

In 10th grade there was a party in my Algebra II class, so my talented sister made French layered puff pastries. I made two kinds of muffins from a box, but I used the directions on the back of the first box with the dry mix of the second, and the directions for the second box with the dry mix of the first box. Both kinds of muffins sucked.

muffin.jpg

One might say I couldn’t stand the heat and I got out of the kitchen. Then, a few weeks ago, I started watching Top Chef on Bravo (season 3) and now I want to go to culinary school. Maybe it’s because I’m competitive and I love the frenetic chopping and the race to finish, but cooking suddenly seems fun. I don’t understand half the words they use when describing their dishes (or even the challenges–one was to make an amuse bouche. Huh?) and every tiny, elegantly plated dish has fourteen components, but the food is pretty and I’m blown away by the talent. That people can dream up these food combinations and execute them is awesome!

top-chef-2.jpgtop-chef-3.jpgtop-chef.jpgtop-chef-4.jpg

I’m cooking dinner for my family soon, so we’ll see how that goes.

Permalink 1 Comment